The teams from Fruitland Park Elementary, Cypress Ridge Elementary and Carver Middle schools were part of the Florida VEX Robotics State Championship on Feb. 21 at the University of South Florida’s Sun Dome in Tampa. The VEX Robotics Competition (VRC) is a STEM program with 300 Florida teams ranging from elementary to college students. VEX has grown to nearly 12,000 teams worldwide representing 36 countries.
Top teams from local events throughout the state qualified to compete in the 2015 state championship in high school, middle school and elementary school divisions. Lake County Schools brought 14 teams to the state competition.
The top teams in each division will compete at the world competition. Included are five teams from three Lake County Schools. They are:
• Fruitland Park Elementary Robo-Wizards (VEX IQ) – Dencov Bryant, Alexis Cowgil, Nichola Desforges and Sydney Williams (Teacher, Crystal Rizzo)
• Cypress Ridge Elementary Betabots (VEX IQ) – Ethan Loden, Mattias Peroni, Koen Phipps and Emma Schoer (Teacher, Ashley Phipps)
o State Design Award
o Teacher Ashley Phipps was named a State Volunteer of the Year
• Carver Middle Raider-Gators (VEX IQ) – Joey Jarrett, Matt Jutkofsky, Acadia Schwartz and Marshall Widmann (Teacher, Bart Nash)
o State STEM Research Project Award
• Carver Middle Hunters (VRC) – Noah Burry, Harrison Dicus, Caleb LeWare, Will Pyles and Craig Yox, Jr. (Teacher, Bart Nash)
o State Tournament Champions.
• Carver Middle Avalanche (VRC) – Dylan Humphrey and Andrew Junkin (Teacher, Bart Nash)
o State Tournament Finalists
o State Design Award
o State Programming Skills Award
The teams will have their robots on display before the Lake County School Board meeting on March 9 and will be recognized by the board for their accomplishments. Students will display the robots at 5:30 p.m. in the rotunda of the Lake County Administration Building, 315 W. Main Street, Tavares. The Board meeting will begin at 6 p.m. in Commission Chambers.
Teams are asking for community support to help with World Championship expenses. If you or your business would like to sponsor them, please contact Lori Humphrey at firstname.lastname@example.org, Crystal Rizzo at email@example.com, and Ashley Phipps at firstname.lastname@example.org.